Lenovo Yoga 12

What’s in the box

The packaging is fairly simple, but very protective. In box was the laptop, power adapter, and a small little warranty info paper. You know, I miss the days when recovery discs were included when you got a new computer. How many of you would pay an extra $5-$10 for some recovery media to be included with a new computer?

Build

This little guy is sleek. Very thin and solid, with some caveats I suppose. While it does feel very solidly built, it also feels pretty heavy for a 2-in-1, this isn’t something I would want to use 1 handed for an extended period of time. In the same breath I don’t suspect this will get broken to easily. This particular Yoga I’m using was made for business applications so on one side you will find the charge port, which has a rubber cover on the port attached to it that is for the docking station. There is also a headset jack and USB 3 port on the same side. On the other side you will find a Mini HDMI, USB 3, SD Card port, a button to lock/unlock auto-rotate, volume buttons, power button, and stylus (ooh fancy).

Specs

5300U Core i5, 8GB Ram, 180GB SSD, 1080p screen.

What I don’t like

The weight. Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind a laptop on the chunky side as long as it makes sense. A gaming laptop should be on the heavier side, an ultrabook should be light. I asked my wife to grab this out of my backpack for me and the first thing she said was ‘wow this is heavy’. It’s not a brick, but it is heavier than it should be in my opinion.
Sleep. Not the kind where I lay down in my comfy bed and close my eyes, the kind where I close the lid to the laptop and it goes to sleep. I’ve done this about 10 times and it has successfully woken up once. Just to be thorough I am running Windows 10 and I am connected to a domain. Regardless any new computer should be able to handle going to sleep and waking up without a problem.
Keyboard backlighting. I just don’t care for it on this particular keyboard. It serves its purpose I suppose but if I don’t need to find a specific key, it’s turned off.
Screen. This is a double edged sword for me. On the one hand the screen is actually very nice, so this will probably also be in my things I like section. There is quite a bit of screen bleed in each of the 4 corners of the screen. More so on the right hand side but still present on the left. Once there is something on the screen that isn’t black it’s barely noticeable.
Sylus. While I do see and have used the stylus, I don’t like the implementation. Writing on the screen wasn’t a bad experience, but it wasn’t a good one either. Entirely too much force is required to ‘click’ a link or say the back button on my browser. I will very rarely (if ever), use the stylus.

What I do like

The keyboard. I absolutely love typing on this keyboard. The keys feel a tiny bit mushy, but they do have a nice amount of travel and tactile feedback for my tastes. I’m actually writing this review on it and I’m enjoying the typing experience.
Screen. Told you this would make an appearance here. I actually do like watching videos on the screen. At 1080p everything is just as clear as I would like. Plus, it is a touch screen and the response to touch is amazing. I really like the fact that the screen is a matte type finish, it makes for a smoother touch experience. I have an HP 2-in-1 that has a glossy screen, in a way it looks a bit better but using the actual touch screen just isn’t as nice on a glossy screen.
Battery life. I haven’t actually timed it yet, which I will eventually and I will update this review, but I would say I’m easily getting 5-6 hours from a single charge. From a laptop this size that is pretty good. Comparatively my Surface Pro 2 gets right around 2 ½ hours.

 Conclusion/Would I buy?

The short answer is no. The price of this bad boy is in the neighborhood of $1400, I can get a Razer Blade Stealth with a QHD screen and similar specs otherwise for about $1200, or even a non-touch Dell XPS 13 for $1000 which is widely considered one of, if not the best ultrabook on the market right now. If you need an ultrabook that can connect to a docking station the Lenovo is definitely not a bad option. Is it the best option for my needs? Sorry but no.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logitech MX Master Mouse

Legion of Collectors July 2016

Logitech K750