OGIO Renegade RSS Backpack


Overview

This is a big backpack. That is the first thing I mention because it is big so if you’re looking for something a little smaller or streamlined this is definitely not the backpack for you. But if you’re looking for something that can carry pretty much anything then you’ve come to the right place. I got this backpack for 1 main reason, travel. I had a really nice Swiss Gear backpack that got the job done but there were a few things that I wanted it to have that it didn’t. No bag is perfect and of course OGIO made some compromises which I will get into in better detail.

This thing holds a lot

I know I said I got this bag for travel but I carry it everyday to and from work. Right now this is what I have in it…HP Elitebook 820 (I compare that laptop to a Lenovo x250 here), Mophie juice pack, 256GB SSD, cleaning cloths, Bose earbuds, WD 1TB external HDD, Dramamine, micro USB and lightening cables, small stone paper notebook (it’s ok not my favorite paper though), Red Team Field Manual, Sony MDRXB950BT headphones, Amazon Basics electronics case, ZeroLemon 20,000mAh external battery, Nvidia Shield Tablet, couple pens, handful of thumb drives, Jaybird BlueBuds X earphones, and an assortment of cables I might need. Yes I have 3 pairs of headphones in my backpack lol, the Sony’s have amazingly deep bass, the Jaybirds have the best overall sound out of the bunch, and I have to have a backup when my Jaybirds die. I carry a lot of stuff on me and honestly I use most of it fairly regularly. I just got the Amazon basics case but I’m hoping that will help me organize some of the stuff I keep in my bag. The laptop area has a great amount of protection, it’s hard on both sides so that will help keep it from getting crushed. The best part about that is the ‘RSS’ which I believe stands for Reactive Suspension System, or something like that, basically it functions as a sleeve that stops your laptop from hitting the ground when you put your bag down. A problem I had with my last bag. It also has a ‘crush proof’ pocket which I will usually keep my shades in while I’m travelling (Oakley’s cost way too damn much for them to break).

Travel

Like I said I bought this thing for travel. So how does it hold up? Everything above goes with me when I travel except the HP. I swap that out for my work laptop which is a Lenovo W541. I also add my Aukey travel charger, Aukey quick charge car charger, PS Vita and games, iPad mini, and one of my sons stuffed animals (he likes me to take one with me when I travel). I have to be careful not to fill the bag up to capacity because it makes it a little harder to fit under the seat on an airplane. All that stuff is just small enough to fit. To make my trip through security a little easier I’ll take everything out of my pockets and put it in the crush proof pocket, it’s perfect because it’s right on top of the bag. Makes my trip through security painless…well as painless as it can be anyway…

It’s not perfect

I wish it was the perfect bag but it’s not. I don’t like the fact that the laptop area isn’t TSA checkpoint compliant. What that means is it doesn’t unzip all the way to lay flat when going thru security at the airport. First world problem I know, but my old (cheaper) bag had that. I’m sure they couldn’t make that work with the whole ‘RSS’ thing, but still. Also this is small but dammit I still notice it, OGIO decided not to include a keyring in this bag. That was an insanely convenient thing to have and now it’s gone. Come on OGIO. The main compartment is just a big space, it would have been nice to have a little sleeve somewhere in there so I could separate out some of the big smaller things, does that make sense? My Swiss Gear bag had a little sleeve on the flap that I would put my tools and external batteries in, I liked that. I know these are small things, but these are the things that are keeping this bag from being perfect in my opinion.

Durability

This thing is built like a tank. I’ve had this bag for almost a year and it still looks the same as the day I bought it. I can’t imagine myself getting a new backpack for a couple years, which makes the $150 price tag (that’s what I paid, it’s cheaper now) a little easier to swallow. Just on durability alone I would buy this bag again.

Final Thoughts


I’m very impressed by this bag. If you have a lot of tech type stuff that you carry with you every day this bag will not disappoint. Yes there are things I don’t like about it but the things I do like far outweigh them. It carries everything I need it to and then some. Out of 5 stars I’ll give the OGIO Renegade RSS 4 stars, it’s not perfect but it’s damn close. If you need a good bag that will last you a long time, this one should definitely be on your short list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logitech MX Master Mouse

Legion of Collectors July 2016

Logitech K750